Saturday, November 5, 2011

Court Cases


1:  United States vs. Eichman (1989)- Congress passed the Flag Protection Act, which made it a crime to destroy an American flag. Eichman set a flag ablaze on the steps of the U.S. Capitol while protesting the government's domestic and foreign policy. The decision was a 5-4 majority vote for Eichman. This stood out to me because I do not understand why someone would want to burn something that stands for so much of what makes our country great and powerful.

 2. 
Coleman v Maryland Court of Appeals (2011)-A man requested to have off from work because he was sick and was fired for requesting that. He claimed it was against the Family and Medial Leave Act. The case was dismissed. This case really caught my attention because it does not seem fair to be fired for asking to be off when you're sick. 

3. FAA v. Cooper (2006) Stanmore Cooper told Social Security that he was HIV positive so he could receive medical benefits. Social Security gave his information to the FAA, which caused Cooper's license to be suspended. The decision made was in favor of Cooper. This stood out to me because I could not believe Social Security gave out his medical records. In my opinion, Social Security was definitely wrong. 

1 comment:

  1. "The case was dismissed. This case really caught my attention because it does not seem fair to be fired for asking to be off when you're sick. "

    I wonder why it was dismissed. Did your source address this?

    ReplyDelete